With the new collection service, citizens of Highlands County will have three (3) separate collections from the County Solid Waste Collection Contractor (Waste Connections, Inc.) on your designated collection day. The three (3) collections will include regular household garbage, residential recycling and horticultural waste (yard waste) or extraordinary waste (bulk/white goods) depending on the alternating schedule (see calendar for schedule). Please note that this collection will occur in no particular order.
Things to take into consideration:
- Containers must be placed by curbside prior to 7:00 AM
- Collection will take place between 7:00 AM and 9:00 PM. Collection times may vary from week to week without notice.
- All household garbage or recycling must be in one of the provided carts. Items or bags of garbage outside of the containers cannot be picked up by the mechanical arm on the truck.
- If the recycling container (green cart) contains household garbage or excessive amounts of non-recyclable material, the cart will be tagged and not emptied. All garbage must go in the blue carts. See list of acceptable recycling items on this website.
- Bulk waste must be no longer than (6) feet in length and small items must be bundled together in bundles weighing no more than fifty (50) pounds each. These items should be ready for collections by hand to be loaded. Maximum of two (2) cubic yards per week (roughly the size of a desk or a refrigerator.
- Yard waste may be bagged, containerized, bundled/ tied and neatly stacked; each (bag, container or bundle) should weigh less than fifty (50) pounds. Yard Waste outside of a container should be no more than six (6) feet in length and/or no more than six (6) inches in diameter. Piles of loose vegetation or piles not meeting these requirements will not be collected.
- If items placed curbside do not meet the criteria in the residential collection contract, then please contact Waste Connections or other approved commercial haulers for the removal of non conforming materials or bulk waste.
- Roll cart, bundles, yard waste and bulk waste must be within three (3) feet of the curb or edge of the street.
- Roll cart, bundles, yard waste and bulk waste must be at least three (3) feet from other fixed objects.
- Hazardous waste, such as explosives, oil, lead-acid batteries, chemicals, asbestos, flammable liquids or irritants will not be collected. These items should be disposed of properly at the Highlands County Recycling Center or at the County's Household Hazardous Waste collection events.
- Residents may place up to six (6) passenger car tires for collection per year.
- During inclement weather, collection delays may occur for safety reasons. Delays may be up to 24 hours for collection of some items.
- If any of your collections (Solid Waste, Recycling or Bulk/Yard Debris) is missed please contact the hauler at 863-655-0005 for the County at 863-402-6505 or complete the Garbage Complaint Form on the County web site at www.hcbcc.net.
- Like the Highlands County Board of County Commissioners Facebook page for updated information and information about delays.
- No construction and demolition materials are collected and must be taken to the Landfill directly by the resident.
To find your collection day please click here
To request a cart exchange please click here
To request an additional cart please click here
If you are still missing a cart please click here
|Holidays Schedule||Bulk and Yard Debris Collection Calendar||What We Recycle|